On the move

Sunday, March 7, 2010


We have to move again:(. It seems like moving is the theme of my life! I've been in London for almost 4 years now and have moved every year. I didn't think much of it the first 2 years, but I've found the last move and this current one to be much more difficult. This move, like the last one, hasn't been our choice, but it's been because our landlords have wanted to sell the places. It's meant that I haven't been able to really, truly feel settled in because it seems to take me about 3 months to finish finding where everything goes in my new place. Sorry, I'm having a bit of a pity party here! Can anyone else relate to me?

Also, moving brings up the recurrent theme of where do we want to live down the road... I met my husband here in London and he's British. I grew all over North America, but mainly in the Midwest outside Chicago. I lived in New York City for a few years before coming to London. I feel utterly confused when I think about where I want to live. I really miss my family and friends in the states and I do feel more at home there and yet now living outside of the country for 4 years I have grown to love a lot about the way of life here in England and made some fantastic friends.

I'm so ready to look into living somewhere a bit more long term, which for us probably means buying a place and yet that is when the whole internal debate comes up about where to live.

Sigh... thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

So all that to say, we are moving again this summer. We have decided for next year to rent again and to see how we feel at the end of the year. Will we be any closer to knowing where we want to live... who knows, but we know we aren't ready to make that decision now.


3 Response to On the move

March 10, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Hi,
I am one of your fellow BYW classmates and making my rounds. So glad to find you! My husband has been traveling to London once a month for work since December. Hoping to do a family trip as well so I am glad to find your London content. I will definitely be back and I am now a fan!

March 12, 2010 at 12:18 AM

Hi Ann,

I'm so sorry that you're going through all this! Not that it helps, but I'm going through the opposite side of this. My house is for sale - and has been for sale for 2 years now. So I know how frustrating things are. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to have to move every year though! I hope this is the last year that you have to move and then you can settle down!

March 12, 2010 at 3:50 PM

I find the finding a new place exciting, it is all the packing and unpacking that I don't enjoy! I hope you find a new home really soon, one that you can stay in for many summers to come! : )

oh beauty All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger