The love of reading

Tuesday, October 23, 2012



I was a voracious reader as a child and though I no longer keep lists of all the books I have read (yes, I really did that as a child!), I continue to find great solace in books as an adult.  Now as a mother I really want to pass on the love of reading to my children.  Samuel can now sit and pay attention longer when we are reading which has meant that we can explore more storybooks (which I as the reader I am really enjoying).  It has been especially fun to revisit books from my childhood with him!  I often find it hard to remember the names of favorite authors or book titles when we are at the library so I have taken to scanning the shelves looking for recognizable covers (there must be a better way- any suggestions welcomed!).  Once I find a beloved author I tend to check out all their book (remember we can check out up to 50 books at our new library!).   

One author I have a revived love for is Shirley Hughes.  Her books about Alfie and his little sister Annie Rose are particularly special and already Samuel is already a big fan.  The books are set in England, often on a street of terraced homes with leafy back gardens.  After living in London, these definitely stir up nostalgia in me which makes me love them even more.  I think Hughes really captures the emotions and experience of a child.  Plus the illustrations are just so darling!  I definitely recommend checking them out if you have not read them before!  Did anyone else read them as a child?

No Response to "The love of reading"

oh beauty All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger