Soaking it up

Wednesday, October 17, 2012


This past weekend I had the opportunity to attend the Influence conference.  I actually heard about it while I was still in London and when I saw that it was in the city that we were moving to, I thought it must be a sign. I think it was!

It was nerve wracking to walk in the doors the first evening as I didn't really know anyone, but right from the start I experienced so much warmth and kindness from the women I met.  There was a beautiful mix of life inspiring talks and practical, informative sessions.  One of the things that most impressed me was the collaborative atmosphere - there was so much sharing of ideas and networking, and not a hint of competitiveness.

It was so inspiring to be around so many female entrepreneurs chasing their dreams!  I was especially encouraged by Emily Freeman who addressed some of the excuses that might keep us from pursuing our art.  One that particularly resonated with me was the excuse that "someone else could do it better."  I have had so many ideas that I have dissuaded myself from pursuing because I think of all the ways it might not work or have simply lacked the confidence to give it a try.  Despite the fact that someone else might be able to do things 'better', we need to live our lives with great purpose as we have the opportunity to make a difference within our sphere of influence.

I haven't had an opportunity to sit down and reflect on my pages and pages of notes but I am looking forward to doing so soon (hopefully with a hot coffee in hand!).  I feel so inspired to dream about what my passions are and how to be more intentional about putting them to action!

Here is a video made by the Jami, one of the speakers, sharing about the struggle and rebuilding of her family.  It is a really powerful story and definitely worth a watch (grab a kleenex first!)!

Thank you so much to Hayley, Jessi, Casey and Moriah for putting their heart & souls into planning the conference!


2 Response to Soaking it up

October 17, 2012 at 9:23 PM

i've watched jami's video like a bazillion times! made my husband watch it -- will be sending it to my friends. but yes -- agree with you on all you said.

so many wonderful people at the conference i feel i didn't get to connect with. wish we had had more time! excited to keep up with your blog and learn more of your story!

October 18, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I know - it's so good! I want to show it to my husband, too! it was great to hear your story and see what an impact you are making, especially in the last couple of months through your blog. I am sure there will be much more to come! x

oh beauty All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger