Travel Companion

Sunday, February 14, 2010


What better way to spend Valentine's Day than a weekend with the in-laws! I know, i know, not the norm but that is what we are doing and actually I couldn't be happier. I was so in need of a quiet weekend outside London and we got that and more! As I was packing for our weekend away I started thinking about what I would do on the train ride. Granted it isn't a long one, but actually one of the first pleasures of the weekend for me is knowing I am done with work for the week and that I have a couple of hours to relax with my choice of entertainment. Often we bring a laptop to watch a film, but we didn't feel like lugging it this weekend so I was down to books or magazines... hmm... I unfortunately am not in the midst of any captivating fiction novel at the moment (suggestions welcomed!) and I have had my fill of magazines this week due to visit to the doctor's waiting room. So... what to do... And then a light bulb went off in my head. I know what I'll bring: my grownup coloring book!

My fantastic friend Beth bought me this book at the Tate Modern when she visited London over Thanksgiving. Besides reviving my heart by having my in giggles during her entire stay (she is seriously good for the soul!) she also gave me this fantastic book as a gift. What a friend, I say! The book I am talking about is 'My Wonderful World of Fashion' by
the amazingly talented Nina Chakrabarti. Nina's drawing are so gorgeous and evocative.


This book is such a fantastic way to give your mind some time to relax and roam. I don't know whether you find this but when my hands are active doing some creative but not too complicated, I tend to daydream a bit and actually have some of my best thinking time. I have found this especially with knitting or making a collage, but coloring isn't something I had tried in quite a long time!

This book is enormous and filled with page after page of fashion drawings with space for you to personalize anything from a pair of glamorous high heels to some outrageous acrylic nails. There is cheekiness and playful spirit that filters through the entire book.


I enjoyed designing my fantastic beaded necklace above and I am sure that a very similar version will be making it down the fashion week catwalks this week:)!


This book reminded me that it is never too late to have a bit of childlike fun and let your imagination run away with you!




6 Response to Travel Companion

February 14, 2010 at 3:46 PM

What a GORGEOUS book!! I need to get my hands on this one. I like the way you've shot it- against the checkered table cloth. And thanx to you I've discovered a phenomenal artist of Indian origin.

February 14, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Hi! I agree with Vineeta - I like the way you photographed against the checkered pattern. This does look like a great book - so different! great job - see you in class!

February 15, 2010 at 12:54 PM

how fun. i am glad you included your drawings in there.

February 21, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Hi! I also agree with Vineeta. The book is great! I have to have it stat!!
And congratulations on your blog makeover!

February 23, 2010 at 3:16 AM

Thanks so much for your feedback- I am so glad you like the photos and want to get the book! I have so much fun coloring in the book and I know you will too:)

April 1, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Oh you have NO idea how it warms my heart to see you enjoying that book! And I LOVE your blog! How did I not know about this sooner?!

oh beauty All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger